Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Leave Lincoln Alone

According to CNN Money, Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-AZ) wants to do away with the penny, which according to him "has been a nuisance for years."

Being a Republican, I assumed the rounding would somehow benefit big business, which it doesn't seem to, at least to my non-economically trained mind. But, there had to be something, something that benefited somebody.

Then came this nugget...
Kolbe's home state of Arizona is the largest copper producing state in the nation. Copper is the main material of the nickel which would benefit by becoming the lowest denomination of currency in circulation.

Ah, I see. Actually, this is welcome. Some nice good old-fashioned helping the little corporations back home.

As much as I respect FDR, I'd like to seem them do away with the dime. I hate those damned things. In fact, if he did that we'd use a lot more nickels. I bet Rep. Kolbe is kicking himself for not thinking of it first!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home